Sunday, February 3, 2013

1/7/13

Hola Familia!

Whew! This week was difficult, I must say. I don't have much to say, but this work is just a great big roller coaster! Don't worry, still working hard and overcoming any obstacles, but it's just a little frustrating sometimes. 

For starters, the baptism of Clemente was cancelled. Again. A few days before his baptism, after we had gotten consent, finished all the lessons, and felt he was prepared, he took off out of town with his girlfriend and her family before he could be interviewed. Now he is avoiding us, not answering any text messages, phone calls, nothing. It's tough. He was SO close, and we could already see the difference this wonderful message is making in his life and the life of his family. We don't know what happened, but unfortunately it didn't happen. We are working on getting back in touch with him so we can help in any way we can, but I'll keep you updated on that!

This week was just rough in general because all of our lessons were falling through and it seemed like all of our investigators were avoiding us. We are doing the best we can though to just continue pushing through the hard times and not let it get to us. Thank goodness for my companion and I, we are not very negative people so we just do our best to look on the bright side of everything. It reminds me of Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk a while ago when he said "come what may and love it." He talked about a time he and his family were on a roadtrip and they kept taking the wrong turns and getting lost, but rather than getting angry and upset about it, they laughed about it and kept on going. I feel that is the best way to describe Elder Facer and I.

Although it is extremely difficult sometimes being a missionary and going from a great week, to a bad week, to a great week, to a bad week...this emotional roller coaster is building us missionaries. I have learned so much out here, and I know that I have so much more to go, but it will all be worth it. I know I will see the fruits of my labors soon, I already do. But even more, just have to be patient. :)

Fun little excerpt of the week though. I went on quick exchanges to Newport Beach with Elder Andersen as our companions went to visit the doctor in Arcadia together. It was awesome! Not only was I reunited with Elder Andersen, but I was finally in Newport Beach. :) It was the weirdest feeling knowing it all already. We drove past a bunch of our vacation spots, like Newport Dunes. :) It was a blast from the past! 

Something else that was great this week was our continuing spiritual experience with the Lopez family. They are just great! They have been so loving to us missionaries, and it has been great to work with them in their return to church. They have all been coming back to church lately and the parents have been inviting us over to dinner a lot, which according to Julie, is quite rare. We had a really spiritual lesson with them the other night and tears were being shed by all. The Spirit was so strong. Julie shared with us that this is the first time in about 10 years that her family actually remembers the name of a missionary. I have been blessed to work with them through this and to witness the pure love of Christ as they realized his loving guidance and mercy. Her niece, Vanessa is also coming back and even is helping her other friend return to church now. It's amazing to watch, I absolutely LOVE the Lopez family. Soon we will be meeting with the dad about baptism again. He's been taught before, but has never accepted baptism for various reasons, but we will see! Anything is possible through the power of the Holy Ghost. :)

On the bright side, the church time here has changed to 11 o'clock rather than 9 for the past 8 or so years, so that is going to be a lot more helpful getting investigators to come to church. Church is so important for them! 

Not much to talk about this week, Happy Anniversary to Mom and Dad! :) Hope you had a great celebration! 23 years! WOO!! Almost to a milestone of 25 :). And thank you so much Grandma Pat for sending me the pumpkin roll in the mail, I loved it! And all the Sisters at the office wanted to try, and they loved it as well, thank you so much! :) Love you all so much and I hope you are all doing great. Please keep me and my investigators in your prayers that we will all be able to follow the will of the Lord in our decisions. Love you and miss you! Cuidense!

-Elder Gallego

"'I am the gardener here, I know what I want you to be.' Thank you God, for cutting me down. Thank you for loving me enough to hurt me. We may all reach the expectations of our Heavenly Father, if we willingly subject to his loving correction." D. Todd Christoffersen

No comments:

Post a Comment