Thursday, December 13, 2012

11/26/12

Hola Familia!

Ummmmm...I'd have to say the hardest thing about P-Day is figuring out what to talk about in the letter home ha. This week was amazing! We taught more lessons than we ever have, we have 4 new investigators, and we now have another investigator with a baptismal date. We are SO busy! But we absolutely love it! :)

So apparently last week, our Zone set new records with everyone's amazing fire! So to add onto it, we went even further! The mission is at it's highest it has ever been, and we can see and feel the amazing blessings that are coming from being obedient and valiant missionaries with a purpose. :)

First off, thank you so much for the package! It was a great blast from home. :) However, the Skittles are going to make me fatter! grrrrr ;) But I loved them anyways ha. My companions and I are taking advantage of the new music and listen to it everywhere we go! Reminds me of the music from home, but that's okay during the Holiday season, I'm still focused. I'll be working on responding to all your letters in writing form today. I laughed when I saw a letter from Ellen in there ha, too funny. ;) 

It's amazing to think that Thanksgiving happened this week! It feels like forever ago, since we have been so busy. It was great though. We went over to the Atomojo's house and all the extended family came over as well. Which is pretty much half the ward ha. We had big tables set up inside and enjoyed a HUGE feast of everything worthy of a Thanksgiving dinner, plus some. Since Hno Atmojo is from Indonesia, there are some different traditions that they throw in as well, like spring rolls, but they were delicious, too! We all stood up and took turns saying what we were grateful for. The Spirit was so powerful as everyone shared their thanks for the gospel, the blessings from it, and the blessings that come from families. Sure made me miss you! But that's okay, because they made us feel at home, too...we sure love the Atmojo, Swenson, De Leon, and Cifuentes families. :) They are such a support to us missionaries and this ward. 

Later that night, we were given like 5 dozens of donuts from one of our old investigators and told that they are for charity...so we spent a large part of the rest of the day handing out donuts to homeless people and sharing that holiday cheer with them. I sure loved seeing their faces light up as we came up to them with their little signs on the side of the rode and gave them food. A little something for them to be grateful for when they feel they have nothing. We shared a message about Jesus Christ with them and let them know they're not alone. It was a great experience that I will always remember. 

But with Thanksgiving in the past, we turn our faces towards Christmas! YAY! The Christmas season is my favorite! All the decorations, lights, food, and most importantly, music! I love Christmas music, my companions (if Elder Andersen isn't with me next transfer for Christmas) are going to get so sick of Christmas music...but I don't care! :) They will come to love it....now I just need to get my hands on some ha. Elder Andersen wants to get the Lower Lights Christmas CD so we can be hicks through Christmas as well ha. I just realized how many times I just said Christmas...yikes. As you can see I'm excited for this year. My first Christmas in Mexico! (ish) And from what I've heard, Christmas here in this ward means tamales, tamales, tamales. Perfect! Butttttt....I may get fat...grr. I'm tired of this battle with myself. The plan is to hold onto my figure (what's left of it ;)). And still enjoy it! Bring it on! 

So Melissa's baptism got pushed back ANOTHER week because her mom was still not home from Mexico. :( Super sad, but she is back now, so this weekend is the weekend! We are so excited for her and we can see the light coming off of her that she is ready and excited as well. We will be making all the plans tonight as to how the program is going to go! Plus, we are not teaching her older sister, Roxanne. We had had minor conversations with her before, but nothing too much...because, this is sad to admit, but she is really pretty, so we get nervous! haha But she's actually really great! Super nice and wants to know more. We taught her the Restoration last night and she seems to be taking it all in very well, and committed to pray and read about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. We have a follow up with her on Thursday, and we asked her to prepare her thoughts for that lesson. We're so excited! We also invited her to baptism, but said she wants to pray and think about it. That's perfect, because the Spirit will use that time to testify to her of this truthfulness. Missionary work is so exciting!

The other investigator with a baptismal date is 16-year-old, Clemente. Clemente is just awesome. He has been investigating the church for the past two years or so. He was stuck at a wall because he hadn't been showing that he really wanted to be baptized to his mom. Background is that his mom is a member of the Church, but is inactive. Clemente was raised in the Church, and has heard from a bunch of missionaries, and says he has wanted to be baptized, but has never really shown it. His mom doesn't want him to get baptized and then fall away from the Church because he doesn't understand what he is doing, so that's why she won't give permission. Well, just recently, we have seen a HUGE change in him. He has started reading the Book of Mormon every night, is praying every night, coming to mutual, coming to church, and inviting us over, all without us even saying anything! How crazy is that! He expressed to us that he is ready this time and really means it and wants to change his life around. He went and met with Obispo Flores yesterday and he shared with us that Clemente is ready to take the discussions and finally plan towards baptism! FINALLY! So we set up a map with him and went through everything he has to do in order to be baptized. Together we set the date for the 6th of January, and we are going to sit down with his mom tomorrow night and discuss it all. She really just wants to make sure he knows what he is doing. We know she'll be able to see the change in him if he continues to keep his mind to it! I am so excited for him. I know he can do it. :)

Well, I feel like this letter is just dragging on ha. Sorry! But this was just a great week, and I am so excited for the weeks to come. Santa Ana is on fire. Well, California Anaheim is on fire! :) We are higher than we have ever been and we continue to grow! I sure love it out here, just like I say every week. I love the things I learn from what I do, and I love my companion. He has taught me so much, and I look forward to the last few weeks (maybe) that we have together! Love you so much family! Glad to hear you had a great Thanksgiving, too! Stay strong, and keep me posted on life! Sure love hearing from you. :) Tis the season to be jolly! Now....be jolly. :)

-Elder Gallego

"The harvest is great, and the laborers are few;
But if we're united, we all things can do...
...We'll cheer up their hearts with the news that He bore
And point them to Zion and life evermore!"

P.S. Elder Andersen and I witness a bum fight outside of our apartment...but don't worry we did not start it with our donuts. ha It was a fight of words that ended with them going their separate ways. It really made no sense, but was pretty entertaining. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment