Thursday, August 1, 2013

7/15/13



Hola familia!
 
Well, this week was FULL of surprises! NOT. It was very anti-climatic actually. ha Transfers didn't go NEARLY the way anyone was expecting-as usual-and I guess that was a surprise, but a different kind of surprise. :) It's always fun, the closer it gets to transfers, because out here missionaries that are really anxious have participate in something called "fantasy transfers", basically a spin-off of the more commonly known "fantasy football" from what I hear. I never really get involved because I learned a while ago that NOTHING happens as planned. Rather, I just leave it up to the Lord and keep my suspicions inside. ;) Well, let me tell you, there were SO many guesses going on for this transfer, and pretty much nothing changed. haha I am staying here with my companion Elder Garza for another transfer here in the good ward of Anaheim 11. :) I look forward to serving another transfer here. I love this ward, and I enjoy this time with Elder Garza. :) Not only am I staying, but everyone apart from Sister Rollins is staying as well in our District! We are thrilled. :) LOVE this District! We all have a blast, and get along so well. It's going to be another great transfer. :)
 
As far as the work goes, unfortunately it was another pretty slow week. We are having a really rough time right now finding people who haven't already had missionaries come knock on their door. Our area only has patches, so it can be difficult to find a part that hasn't been knocked already. ha People who have a foundation already set through a member that we can contact and teach is what we are looking for. :) We have continued to work on finding service opportunities to change it up a little, and also have been working on serving the English ward members to convert the referrals we receive from them into something "golden". We have a few lessons set for this next week with referrals, and the members have committed to accompanying us and providing that support to them. Because our numbers have not been the highest, we are also going to focus on some door knocking until the ball really gets rolling with the ward with referral, but we know it will get there. 
 
We had a neat experience this week as a Spanish-speaking member accompanied us from the English ward to visit their Spanish-speaking neighbor, and she was very inviting, and willing to listen to what we had to say. We felt that as we went straight to the Book of Mormon, she really came to realize that although she already had a strong testimony in Jesus Christ, there was something more that she could learn. The Spirit was felt very strong. It is a moment I will remember. :) I love the instruction we have been receiving.
 
*You can decide as to whether or not to include this in the mass email or not, but I wanted to share it with you!!!!*
I also had a neat experience with sharing my own spiritual experience with one of the sisters' investigators that came to church on Sunday that was very strong for me. Lately we have been receiving instruction to share our own personal experiences more often. So I did! :) This investigator's name is Martin. In our coordination meeting, one of the sisters shared his situation, and it brought her to tears. As I talked with him, he shared with me more of the situation. He shared that his mother means a lot to him, as does his family, but they are not supporting him in his decision at all. He shared that he has never felt so "right" about a church, and that he has visited MANY churches. He knows it is the true church, and he wants to be baptized, but his mother is very strong in her catholic traditions and does not approve. I was impressed to share our family experience with him. I shared with him about all the trials that our family was passing through, and how we really needed something to help us. How we were introduced to the Church by friends of ours, and since then our family has never been the same. I shared that it saved our family, and although our extended family and some friends did not support us nor saw the good it brought to our family, we joined the Church because we knew it was true and had faith and prayed that someday our family would accept it. I shared with him how with some relatives, I didn't hear from them for over 10 years, but with that prayer and diligence, that lost connection has been fixed. I shared that although it hurt, we used our faith to rely on Christ, knowing that all would be resolved someday. I have such a strong testimony of that. There are so many instances in life when we may not be supported in the decisions that are best for us by our loved ones, but in order to trip us up, Satan works through those loved ones to keep us from the truth.
*You can decide as to whether or not to include this in the mass email or not, but I wanted to share it with you!!!!*
 
I love this Church more than I can even explain in words. I have learned so much, and know with a certainty that this is the truth. I love the power of that knowledge, and that through that knowledge, I am able to bless the lives of others. I look forward to working even harder this week to help the referrals we have right now turn into a successful saved soul. I love you all so much, and am so glad that you, Mom and Dad, took that step and followed the promptings of the Spirit to join this church, although it may have been difficult to leave other things/friendships behind. You have brought our family so far as we have built ourselves off your faith, and I am so grateful to have such strong and diligent family members as all of you. You are all examples to me, and I love you so much. :) I look forward to hearing back from you soon, and I pray that all is well! Hasta la proxima vez, cuidense!
 
-Elder Gallego
 
"Stop being afraid of what could go wrong, and focus on what could go right."
 
P.S. I hope you got the package, Mom, Dad, and Matthew! I will be sending another one soon with pics! :) Here's a leftover pic from last week! Birthday dinner with Elder Garza and the Lopez's! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment