Tuesday, September 10, 2013

8/26/13


Hola familia!
This week was full of curve balls yet again! ha As they usually are at the end of transfers. It's hilarious to see everyone try to guess and make predictions (Fantasy Transfers, as they like to call them ha), but everyone is always wrong and we all get stumped. It's a fun part of the missionary culture, though. We worked hard right up until the end of this transfer once again, and we had a great time meeting new people and helping our current investigators progress. Ana, Tanya, and Teresa are doing well other than the fact that unfortunately, yet again, none of them made it to church. We are going to continue stressing that, and, sadly, if that does not change, we will have to drop them. :( Please keep them in your prayers! We are hoping and praying for some changes this next week! I am sure we will see some! Because this transfer is going to be a blast and a great learning experience for all those in our district. We changed around a lot.
For starters, I was called to be district leader of Anaheim 11! :) I know it is going to be a lot of fun, and I am going learn a lot as I teach those in my district. I love those in my district so much! Including my new companion! Elder Thorne from Sharpsburg, Georgia, just a little south of Atlanta! He seems like a real great guy! I can tell already that we are going to get along and really see this area pick up. I look forward to working with him. Elder Garza will be missed :(, but he will hopefully be back to visit soon after he finishes his mission in October, so it won't be too long before I see him again! He's at least still in my zone, so that's good. :) Unfortunately, however, I had to say goodbye for now to my partner in crime/twin, Sister Morley! :( We were buddies, but after 4 transfers in the same district, it was time...so sadly my buddy is gone, but I am sure I will see her around and she'll do great where she is, too, along with Sister Biffath, Elder Contreras, and Elder Afu who all left as well. I am so excited for this opportunity to serve those around me even more! Just need to make sure I keep my cool (humility) and not let the "power" get to my head. ;) I think I'll be good. I learned all I know from Elder Tueller, and he is the greatest district leader I have ever had. Everyone in the district agrees, too. SO I will just have to mimic him! haha Love that guy. Love this ward! Plus, we just got a new ward mission leader, and holy molly, he is READY! He is so pumped and is already doing a great job. I look forward to watching the relationship in the ward between the missionaries increase, as well. Here I go! O.O Another 2 transfers at least in Anaheim! Woo! Love it!
Other than that, this week was pretty easy-going. We have a lot of change to adjust to, but it will be fun. Elder Richards (my buddy here in Anaheim) is going to be training, so that'll be fun, too!
I wanted to add something that I thought was really neat that came out in our "Anaheim Quarterly" (basically the mission newsletter we get every zone conference) that I thought is great. It's from an elder that just recently went home. He suffered so from so many health problems while he was out here, and not only that, but his mother died while he was here, too. He went home in the spring for her funeral, and then came right back out. He is such a great example of someone understanding the true purpose of this work. He was a great elder, and I know he will be blessed for his labors. This is a neat poem he wrote to all of us:
"Highs and Lows" by Elder Gonzales
A mission is a strange experience
It is a trial and a test
A mission throws at you the worst
Yet teaches you the best
I've never been so happy
I've never been so depressed
I've never felt so forsake
I've never been so blessed
I've never been so confused
Things have never been so clear
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant
He's never been so near
I've never been so discouraged
I've never been so full of hope
I feel I could go on forever
I think I've come to the end of my rope
I've never had it quite so easy
I've never had it quite so tough
Things have never been so smooth
Things have never been so rough
I've never traveled through more valleys
I've never ascended so many peaks
I've never met so many nice people
I've never met so many freaks
I've never had so many ups
I've never had so many downs
I've never worn so many smiles
I've never worn so many frowns
I've never been so lonely
I've never had so many friends
Boy, I hope this is over soon
Gosh, I hope it never ends.
I love it so much because it really shows well the ups and downs that we as missionaries go through. He was such an example of humility, and I know that after all was said and done, I was there when he bore his powerful testimony of the truthfulness of this gospel. I know for a fact that if I were to go through what he did, I would cripple. That is what I am working on daily. Humility. Learning. Willingly submitting to God's will. I have learned so much-although it has been difficult, but I was I have said millions of times before, I will never go back. I love you all so much and am grateful for the love and support you show me. I pray that all is well! Can't wait to hear back soon! :) Love you and miss you! Here goes! :)
-Elder Gallego
"Obey like Nephi. Pray like Enos Serve like King Benjamin. Endure like Abinadi. Preach like Alma. Hope like Captain Moroni. Love like Jesus Christ. Faith like Joseph Smith" Elder Gonzales
P.S. First pic is Elder Thorne, the second is with Sister Biffath, and the third is with Sister Morley (our district's thing was the Argentine handshake...apparently they shake that way ha)!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment