Tuesday, November 19, 2013

10/14/13

Hola familia!
 
This week was quite the week. As explained in my subject, it was a pretty up and down week. For starters, sorry for not writing much last week! I was overloaded and couldn't make enough time to squeeze a better email out, but I hope you can forgive me! ;) I pretty much already briefed my thoughts of General Conference last week.
 
I loved each of President Uchtdorf's talks. Especially the one he gave at the Priesthood Session. It was so good! I love how he always seems to make a one-liner in his talk that I am sure explodes into just about a million different memes on Facebook. haha He is such a great speaker, and I love how applicable his talks are to each and every one of us. I also really enjoyed Elder Holland's talk! His was so genuine, unique, and special. It made me think back to Santa Ana 5 days when I was able to spend time with my buddy Nacho. Although he has down syndrome, that doesn't stop him from blessing the lives of those around him, and sharing that special spirit he carries with all those he meets. He is such a great example to me and is an angel in my eyes. I absolutely love how Elder Holland shared that we must be kind and not judgemental to those with physical or mental disabilities. "Hope is never lost", and "broken minds may be healed just like broken bones can be healed." There were many other parts of Conference that stood out to me, and I hope you all had the chance to learn something that will stick with you throughout life.
 
Last week was one of the fastest weeks ever, and this week was one of the longest weeks ever haha. We all decided by the end of the week that we felt like we are three weeks into this transfer already....but that's not the case ha. There were just alot of trying times in the district, but I absolutely love this district, because we stuck together and all helped eachother out. Please keep our new district member, Sister Davis, in your prayers. She suffers from Chrone's Disease, so she is ulcerated from her esophagus all the way down through her intestines. It is really hard on her, and they has had medical difficulties with it. This week, the pharmacy didn't fill her prescription fast enough, and so she was out of pain medications, which is pretty much all they can do for her. On top of that, she received word from her family through Sister Bowen that her best friend was hit by a car while riding his bike in the Arcadia mission and passed away. It has been really hard watching her go through this, and yesterday after I gave her a blessing, she broke down. It stinks that I can't be the one to hug her and talk to her about it all, but I know that her companions are perfect for her right now. Please keep her in your prayers that she will feel comforted and relieved during this hard time for her. She is doing better now, but I am sure she can always use the prayers.
 
Sadly, we had to say goodbye to the Morales family this week, which was also very hard, because we have grown so close to them. The day of their baptism, they were kicked out of their apartment in our area and moved to an apartment in the west sisters area, so we let the sisters take over and continue teaching them. They showed up late to church yesterday, so they were not able to be confirmed still! They said they will be sure to be on time for now, though, so that they can finally complete the baptism and have the wonderful constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. We had a great last lesson with all of them and the sisters, too. We had a pass of lesson, and at the end, we sang a neat rendition of Nearer, My God, to Thee. It was very powerful and really brought the Spirit to their home. The family that is living with them have been starting to read the Book of Mormon, and have shown more interest in learning more, so I am excited to hear how that goes from the sisters. :) The Morales family is just SO great and and loving and we were so sad to say goodbye, and so were they, but they like the sisters, as well, and I know they will still love it and we will see them at church on Sundays! :)
 
One of the highlights of the week (for the ups) is that I finally started writing in my journal again! :) SO although it is still hard to remember all that happened each day, I am doing better at recording it all so I don't end up forgetting all the great memories I have had out here! This week was all around still a great week! Although I shared a few of the downs this week, there were still plenty of ups that kept us happy and focused for the work! We made tamales this week with the Sanchezes, and it was a blast! I was the only one that knew how to do it, so I was helping teach, and mine were the good ones is what Hna Sanchez said. ;) They're so great!
 
This week was a great week! I wouldn't have had it any other way. We are all still growing and being strengthened in our knowledge that Jesus Christ suffered all so that we can make it through our trials and not be alone. Whenever we feel like we are lost and not alone, it's not true. It is a trick that Satan uses to bring us down. As we trust in God and exercise our faith that Jesus Christ really did go through all he did to be there for us, that is when we can feel our burdens become "light". I am so grateful for this gospel in my life. I shared my testimony yesterday in church and I choked up sharing our family's conversion story. It was embarrassing, but the Spirit was just so strong yesterday for me! I have only done that like twice in my life, so it was weird, but I felt good. :) I sure love this gospel and the blessings it brings; especially to the families. I hope you are doing well and that this email didn't bore you too much. ;) Love you so much and I love hearing from you all! Take care and remember to "always look up!" :)
 
-Elder Gallego
 
"Above all, never lose faith in your Father in Heaven, who loves you more than you can comprehend." Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment