Tuesday, November 19, 2013

10/28/13



Hola familia!
 
This is going to be a quick email! (Pffft I always say that...)
 
Highlights of the week:
We had Zone Conference and it was amazing! We were visited by Elder Ellis of the Quorum of the Seventy. It was a great meeting, and I enjoyed learning about how we can better apply our purpose to bring others unto Christ. It was a great opportunity to learn, and he is a great public speaker. He has a great way of applying everything back to missionary work. I loved it! Plus, we thought it was pretty cool that he sounds JUST like Tom Hanks. ;) The Spirit was really strong, despite the minor distraction of his voice characteristics ha.
Elder Parkinson and I were back together! Because he is my Zone Leader, we went on exchanges, and it was so weird to be back together! We visited a few people that we used to visit and it was a great day to catch up and have a good time, again! He leaves in December! So crazy...I remember when he still had like 8 months left. I still feel young in the mission, but Elder Thorne keeps telling me how old I am haha. All my comps are leaving. :(
And on that topic, Elder Garza actually left for home this week, too! He finished with flying colors and took off back to the great ol' state of Mexico. Just in time for Halloween. It's funny because he is obsessed with it, so he got lucky. :) I will definitely miss him. We had so much fun together, and he was always such a fun person to talk to at Zone Activities. He's definitely a great comedy relief! ha He will be missed by many. There was no other missionary like Elder Garza. I learned so much from him. That makes 3 of my 6 companions gone from the mission...and almost 4! I feel old. haha Oh well, I keep going! :)
I had a great time to reminisce on my time with my past companions this week. We went to Camelot again! It is the same thing as Golfland, but here. Owned by the same people, who are relatives of the Garns, actually. The Kenney family. They are amazing and let missionaries go have a great time playing put-put golf, laser tag, and go carts for free. It's always a blast. I am TERRIBLE at golf, but I always destroy in laser tag. ;) I continued to carry my reputation this time, too! ha We've gone three times as a Zone, and all three times, I've either been first or second. Usually, my companion is my accompanying first or second place holder, but this time-because Elder Thorne isn't the most athletic person ;) don't worry, not me being mean, he openly accuses himself haha-he didn't accompany me in it, but by father Elder Anderson, did! :) So we were still related. It was fun! Elder Anderson, Elder Thorne, Elder Parkinson, and Elder Garza were all there! Almost all my companions. :) I love Camelot!
With all the ups this week, it also had it's trials. Sister Corona and Sister Byon had a very difficult week. If you could please keep them in your prayers, I would really appreciate it. It's been a little bit of a struggle for me, because I can't do much to help. As I have always been used to, I like to help people. Unfortunately, the way it is in the mission, I can't help out sister missionaries all that much. I can support them in the area and in the work, but the rest is for the sister leaders and President. It's difficult, but I'm hoping they can get through it, and that I am doing all I can to help them. They are great, powerful sisters, so I hope the best for them. We all knocked in their area, and we helped them out, but I think another week would have been better, so they could have prepared some names for us. They are doing the best they can, just not the best things are happening to them, so please keep them in your prayers that all works out with them. Thanks! :)
We were invited by one of our old potential investigators to a Halloween party! ha It was...interesting. Originally, they were a referral from their member neighbors, and we tried many times to stop by, but we only met the daughter once, and postponed stopping by for a while for maybe another time they would be available. After a while, she saw us in the library and gave me a note (that of course we read together) saying that she remembered me and would like us to come meet her family at this Halloween party. After a little bit of debating, we decided to at least quickly meet the family. In her note, she explained that it would be a safe party with no alcohol or anything, so we thought we'd stop by and maybe this would be our opportunity to finally contact them. Well, it started with an awkward arrival, as she tried to hug me, but I was SUPER awkward and just stuck my hand right in the way. hahaha It was the Best Two Years status. Straight up. It was totally unnexpected, because we were invited in by her mom, and she came out of nowhere and went for the hug, but I totally shut her down in an awkward way...it happened too fast to explain much, but she understood. haha I even went, "WHOA!" It just came out. Elder Thorne and I had a good laugh about that after. Moving on, though, the house was AMAZINGLY decorated! It was insane how much Halloween decorations they had! I'll atttach some pics. She gave us a tour of the house, and then we kind of just sat around and ate a cupcake, because she was the only person who would really talk to us ha. We were there for a few minutes, but the sisters gave us a call that they needed a blessing, so we looked at that as an opportunity to take off. Well, right as we were on our way out, after thanking Natalie for inviting us, her dad and uncle came in with a couple cases of beer. Perfect timing. Needless to say, it wasn't what we expected, but it was cool to see the house! :)
The work was great this week! Roberto Sanchez is doing great! He is searching for a new job so he doesn't have to work on Sundays anymore! He is progressing really well, and I sure hope I can stay around to watch him continue to progress. I love the family, and I really do want the best for them. We are just working with his wife so that she can be a good support to him. He's great, and not only do I hope that I can stay around to help him out, but it would just stink in general to leave during the holidays, no that this is pretty much my home ward. ha We'll see!
Other than that, it was a pretty normal week full of working with members and Elder Thorne and I enjoying our time together. He is hilarious and I love being his companion. Fun fact about Elder Thorne...he forgets...EVERYTHING! It was a little frustrating at first, but now it's just hilarious how cronically forgetful he is. ha He is always joking about his nose, too...it's hilarious. He's a good sport. ;) Love this area and I love this work! I hope you are all doing well, and I look forward to hearing back soon! LOVE YOU!
 
-Elder Gallego
 
"I know that faith can move mountains, but we weren't called to move mountains...we were called to climb them." Sister Spence-I LOVED this! It was shared by one of the sister missionaries at Zone Conference. So good and true!

No comments:

Post a Comment